Driving wrong way on one way street

I turned down a one way street and as I approached the end of the block my path was blocked by 2 fire trucks responding to an incident. As I could not continue, I turned my vehicle around and proceeded back down the one way street going the wrong way. I was then pulled over and given a ticket for driving the wrong way. The officer was confrontational and intimidating when asked what I should have done in that situation and provided no answer. I don’t feel I was wrong in moving away from the incident that I encountered and had no choice but to turn my car around. Is there anything that I can do?

Asked on April 14, 2017 under General Practice, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You can explain the situation to the prosecutor and judge on the "return date" (the trial date) scheduled for the ticket--one or both may elect to dismiss under the circumstances. However, they are not required to dismiss: the situation you describe is not actually a legal defense to or justifiction for driving the wrong way, but does provide equitable (i.e. "fairness"-based) grounds which would let the prosecutor or judge exercise their respective discretion to choose voluntarily to dismiss.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.