Dp I have to pay my ex-employer back if they accidentally overpaid me?

I was given too much on my last paycheck. I think it was an accounting mistake I got an extra week’s pay.

Asked on November 18, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Alaska


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

The law disfavors wht your keeping this money would be - "unjust enrichment". This means that your ex-employer is entitled to be repaid for the moniey mistakenly paid to you. And when you think about it, it makes sense. If you had been accidentally shorted, you would be entitled to be paid for the shortfall. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.