Dose the architect have the right to sell or give plans he designed.

I paid for plans to build in new home but did not end up building it. Now the
builder is using my plans to build a spec house for another person. The architec
is the builders brother. I did not give my permission for hime to use my plans.

Asked on September 14, 2017 under Real Estate Law, Arizona


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

No, if you paid for the plans, they were created for you as a "work made for hire" and you own the copyright to them; the architect may not reuse or resell your intellectual property without your permission (e.g. without paying you some fee for the right to do so). Anything a professional creates for a client for pay belongs to the client--in short, the law takes the position that you paid for it, you own it. The exception would be if you had a signed agreement or contract with the architect giving him the right to do this; if you, you contratually gave up your rights to or control over the plans. But otherwise, you could potentially sue for compensation for breach of your copyright (e.g. to recover the cost or valeu of the plans).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.