Does your name and date of birth have to be correct on served papers

My 16 son is on probation and they said
he violated they sent him to juvie and
we got served to be in court today but
they have his wrong date of bith can we
do something about that

Asked on September 11, 2017 under Criminal Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You can bring it the trial courts attention when he appears, but it won't change the effect of the proceedings.  The judge will simply correct it in their records.  If you believe they have served the wrong person, then that's a different would need to raise the issue of mistaken identity and make them prove that the person who they are accusing is the same person who has been summoned, namely your son.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.