Does withheld adjudication show up on a background check?

Asked on November 4, 2011 under Criminal Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Most likely a withheld adjudication (also known as court probation or diversion) will not show up as a conviction or even be referenced in most states in the event of a background check regarding a criminal matter as to one for the simple fact there has yet to be an actual plea to a crime or a conviction.

However, if the terms of the court probation or diversion are not adhered to by the person subject to the criminal proceeding, there will be a criminal conviction after a hearing is held.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.