What counts as someone being served notice?

My landlord came to serve my roommate but she wasn’t home. Because my roommate wouldn’t talk to me when she came home, I texted her saying that our landlord left a letter for her, and that it’s on her mail pile. Later that night, my other roommate saw the bad roommate come down and take the pile of mail. Does that count as being served if my landlord also sent a copy through the mail?

Asked on December 14, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Illinois


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Service depends on the state law and rules of civil procedure. If you have two other roommates, it sounds like each of you appear to have separate leases to occupy a portion or the whole of the same space. If you don't, I would be worried what this service of process means to your lease. Going back to being served and whether it was served properly, most state require services by either certified mail or hand delivery. Either way, it could be considered perfected since he knew your roommate lives in this apartment and you have authority to accept mail on the occupants' behalf or appear to. The landlord could argue service was proper but again, one would need to look at your state's laws to be sure.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.