How can I find out if my state offers the opportunity to reduce a conviction and/or allow a petition for early expungment?

I am a first time offender of a low level felony for “No Tax Stamp”. I was convicted just over 1 1/2 years ago and paid all fines and completed probation. I haven’t had so much as a parking ticket since I was arrested over 2 years ago.

Asked on July 24, 2014 under Criminal Law, Kansas


Richard Southard / Law Office of Richard Southard

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

The same way that you sought information on this site, search for a similar tool in the State in question.  Or call an experienced criminal attorney in that state who will answer your question for free.  New York does not currently allow expungement of criminal convictions. 


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You can google the word "expungement" along with the name of your state. Most jurisdictions have websites that offer information regarding who is eligible for an expungement and the steps for doing so, if eligible. If you are still unclear as to your rights and need further clarification, you can contact a criminal attorney in the area.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.