Does the rental company have to honora tlower rate hat was originally quoted in a confirmation e-mail?

I made a reservation for next summer for a condo rental and received an email confirmation. Recently, I received another email confirmation with a higher rate (double). I am told the lower rate on the website was wrong because the website was not updated with the summer rates yet. My original email confirmation does not say any thing like, “rates may change without notice” but the new higher rate email confirmation does. I have paid a $200 deposit. Does the management company have to honor the lower rate?

Asked on November 8, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Georgia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Unless you have written agreement signed by both you and the rental company for the unit that you are writing about, the e mail confirmation rate has no legal validity unless you have actually paid for the entire time period in full (not just the $200.00 deposit).

I would advise the management company that given the circumstances you do not want the unit and immediately demand the deposit back mentioning the prior quote for a lower rate and see what transpires. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.