Does the dealership have to sell me the car I signed paperwork for?

I purchased a vehicle and signed all
the paperwork for a specific VIN
number. Now the dealership is saying
that vehicle has had upgrades made to
it so they are switching the car and VIN
number and want me to resign
paperwork. Are they obligated to give
me the car I have signed and
completed the original paperwork on?

Asked on May 7, 2016 under Business Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If you signed a contract, which is want it sounds like, that contract binds the dealership: they have to give you the car they contractually agreed to sell you. If they don't, you could sue them in court to enforce the contract. You would sue for breach of contract.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.