Does the DEA contact someone by phone to tell them they have a warrant for their arrest?

I received a phone call from someone claiming to be from the DEA. She said they have a warrant for my arrest because customs seized a package addressed to me which contained a controlled substance. She said it was Diazepam and it was seized 2 years ago. She also said that if I admit guilt and pay a $3,800 fine they would let me off with a warning.

Asked on September 21, 2011 under Criminal Law, California


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

This is a scam pure and simple. You will never be informed before the warrant is served on you whether the warrant exists or that one will be served on you. Do not pay these people anything. Get the number from your caller id or from the telephone company and call the police and FBI. Also contact the Federal Communications Commission and Federal Trade Commission. At the end of the day, if this was seized two years ago, you would have already been served and charged with trafficking. Make sure you do not speak to these people again. If this was an actual Drug Enforcement Agent, your home would have been raided or you would have been served with a search and arrest warrant. If you are still concerned, search the internet for the telephone number next time the person calls and see what comes up.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.