Does someone who is paying the back property taxes on someone else’s property get the property?

I’m paying the back property on someone’s else’s property and getting the receipts in my name. We had an agreement to where i would get the property after the taxes were paid. but now she is saying it is rent now.

Asked on November 4, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Michigan


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

The only way one can obtain legal title to one's real property by paying property taxes on the parcel is through an adverse possession claim where the whole process to perfect such is five (5) years under stringent requirements.

From what you have written it does not seem that you have an agreement with the property owner to get the property after the back taxes are paid. I suggest that you consult with a real estate attorney about the situation that you are in. It seems that the property owner may be taking advantage of you.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.