Does paying severance to a terminated employee help fight against their unemployment claim?

We have an employee that we fired because she falsified her timecard. We paid her for accrued vacation per our policy and we were going to pay her 2 weeks severance. However, today I received a request for unemployment. Should I tell her that we will not be paying her severance or will that help in my

case fighting unemployment?

Asked on June 20, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Colorado


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Paying severance has nothing to do with her claim for unemployment: if she was terminated other than for cause, she is entitled to unemployment--that is the law, and she can't give up that right. Of course, falsifying a time card is theft of time from the employer and *is* grounds for a "for cause" termination, so based on why you fired her, you should be able to oppose her claim.
What you use severance for is to get the employer to agree to not sue you, such as for wrongful termination or discrimination: make her sign a separation and release agreement giving up her right to sue if she wants to get the severance, and don't pay it if she won't sign.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.