Does my neighbors home insurance cover my dog than was attacked By there dog

Our dog wandered off our property onto the neighbors property. They have an
invisible fence but no sign or no beware of dog sign. Their dog attacked our dog
causing serious injury requiring her to go to the emergency vet hospital. The
veterinary bill was 1600

Asked on March 29, 2019 under Insurance Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 1 year ago | Contributor

Their homeowners would likely cover damage or injuries inflicted by their dog: most such policies do. (That said, if they have a policy which specifically does not cover this, that exclusion is legal.) 
But their insurance is not your insurance: their insurance only will pay if they were at fault in some way and you were not at fault. Given that your dog was unsecured and came onto their property, and their dog was properly confined to their property, it is likely that they are not at fault: they did nothing wrong. At the same time, you were likely at fault, for not properly securing your dog. If you were to sue them, it is unlikely that you would and they would have to pay, which means that it is unlikely that their insurance will offer you any compensation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.