Does my husband have a chance to get a dependent G4 visa?

I was offered a position at the World Bank and am applying for a G4 visa. I have travelled and lived in the US many times, with no overstay or violations. I want to apply for my husband’s dependent G4 visa as well. His situation is tricky though. He came to the US on J1 visa, then changed it to F1 status. In between changing from one school to another, he was reported to be illegal in the US by his school authorities and the case was brought to court. The process for removal was started. When he appeared in court, he decided to voluntarily go back to his

country and left after the case was resolved. He also had some admin violations not paying for his tickets. Now after almost a year, I was offered a WB job offer and am planning to move with my husband to Washington DC. Does he have a chance to get a dependent G4 visa? Will our applications submitted together increase his chances to get a visa? Or is it better for me to get my G4 visa first and after a couple of months let my husband submit his application for dependent G4 visa? Will his refusal potential affect my G4 visa application i get my visa denied as well?

Asked on May 3, 2016 under Immigration Law, New York


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

His prior visa revocation/voluntary departure should not affect your ability to obtain a visa but your obtaining a visa does not help him or ensure that he will be able to get his visa.  It is really based on whether he is eligible for one or whether he is deemed inadmissible and if there are any waivers available to him.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.