Does my health insurance cover personal injury at someone private property?

Daughter was at neighbor’s house. She
intentionally jumped from second floor
balcony. She suffered a compression fracture
to her lower lumbar. My insurance is
questioning the cause of the injury. I assume
they want the homeowners insurance to
cover the expenses. I dont want to go after
the neighbor as they really didnt do anything
wrong. Not sure what my options are.

Asked on June 25, 2016 under Personal Injury, Connecticut


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Your health insurance, assuming you have family coverage, should cover your daughter's medical care: health insurance pays for medical expenses without regard, generally, to the cause (though check your policy, to see if there is any exception(s) applicable to deliberately jumping off a balcony). 
However, you can't stop your insurer, if they pay anything out for you, from suing your neighbor to recover their payment if they feel the neighor was at fault in some way (for example: if your daughter is relatively young child, she should have been supervised by the homeowners; if they did not supervise her, they could be liable). It is an insurer's legal right to seek reimbursement (called "subrogation").

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.