Does my ex need to notify me if he wants our son to testify on his behalf in his divorce case?

We have joint custody but I have primary care. I don’t want my son involved in his father’s problems.

Asked on September 26, 2015 under Family Law, California


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

It depends on how old your son is.  Generally speaking, a minor cannot be called without parental notification and if your son received a subpoena, you should immediately contact your divorce attorney to review the matter and see if he could bring a motion in court to quash it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.