Does my ex-fiance need to buy me out in order to refinance and put our home solely in his name?

We both contributed equally to the down payment for an FHA loan on the home which was purchased over 1 1/2 years ago. Can he refinance on his own without involving me or paying back my contribution? I currently do not make payments on the mortgage.

Asked on May 22, 2012 under Real Estate Law, New Jersey


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Your consent is needed to sign over the home to him because you have to sign the deed.  That actually protects you.  He could refinance solely in his name with out you consent but he would not want to unless you signed over the home.  You hold the deed hostage so to speak unless and until he pays you the money owed.  He would get a set off for your contribution to the mortgage that he paid. Seek legal help here.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.