Does my daughter need an attorney?

We have a rental car on vacation. The
car was rented in my name. My daughter
put herself on as an extra driver and
said it was for business. She has only
liability coverage. She was in an

Asked on May 18, 2017 under Accident Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Two issues will determine this:
1) Economics--how much is or might she be sued for? Even  simple case with a lawyer will generally cost $1,500, very possibly more, and success is not guaranted--you could pay the lawyer and still lose. Unless she is being sued for several thousand or more, a lawyer is not likely be economically worthwhile.
(The same logic also applies if she is suing someone else, like another driver: unless at least several thousand dollars or more are involved, getting a lawyer would not be worthwhile.)
2) Was she realistically at fault? If she unequivocally (no doubts) was (e.g. feel asleep at wheel, texting while driving, under influence, speeding or going to fast for conditions, etc.) then there may be little a lawyer can do to help her: the facts are almost always more powerful than a lawyer's efforts.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.