Does my daughter need a lawyer?

She was involved in a fight at school. The resource officer wrote her a
ticket for 3rd degree battery. We have now received a notice to appear
in court.

Asked on March 4, 2017 under Criminal Law, Arkansas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Since a criminal charge is involved, retaining an attorney is adviseable; such a charge can have life-long consequences.  They may be able to get the charge dismissed or at least reduced. Additionally, an attorney may be able to arrange for something called "diversion" or "differed adjudication" (or your state's equivalent) which is avaialble to first-time offenders and which will leave her with a clean criminal record.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.