Does my 18-year old daughter need representation at a pre-trial hearing for a Minor in Consumption charge?

Asked on September 24, 2012 under Criminal Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Given the fact that your daughter albeit an adult is charged with possession of alcohol in violation of state law, she in my opinion needs to have a criminal defense attorney present to represent her and protect her interests. Your daughter might be able to qualify for a "diversion" program with the court and assuming she does and completes it, she might end up having the charge against her dismissed with no conviction resulting.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.