Is there a law stating that if a minor was named beneifciary on an insurance policy, that the proceeds need to be paid into a trust?

How do you obtain the policy for that minor?

Asked on September 21, 2012 under Estate Planning, Minnesota


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  The beneficiary is under 18 correct?  Yes, then under the law in your state then can not inherit money or property directly. Either the personal representative (executor) of the estate or another authorized person will transfer the assets to a custodian under the Uniform Transfers to Minors Act (UTMA), or the court will appoint a conservator to manage those assets. In either case, the custodianship or conservatorship ends when the child turns 18, and he or she receives the remaining assets outright.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.