Does it mean she is at fault?

My daughter was in a car accident where the other driver ran the red light and hit
our car. Now, his insurance states they will pay 80 percent and my daughter is
responsible for the 20 percent even after obtaining the witness’s statement on
two occasions.
The other driver was at fault for the accident police report-driver was cited.
Please help

Asked on June 13, 2016 under Accident Law, Florida

Answers:

S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Since the police report cited the other driver, who ran a red light, you should reject the insurance company's argument of your daughter being 20% liable and the other driver 80% liable.
Your only recourse is to sue the at-fault driver for negligence.  If your daughter is a minor, you will need to be appointed guardian ad litem to file a lawsuit on her behalf because a minor cannot file a lawsuit herself.
You might also want to consider a bad faith claim against the other driver's insurance company.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.