Does it look poorly on the defendant if a default is filed?

My husband filed for divorce. I agree on everything he included in the paperwork. We can either have me file a “consent decree” or have him file a “default”. Does is make sense to do over the other?

Asked on May 31, 2012 under Family Law, Arizona


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

It is my belief that you should never default on anything in a lawsuit because then you would have to vacate the default before you can ask to modify a decree. By consenting to the divorce you agree to what is there now but if the circumstances should change and the decree needs to be modified you can ask the court for relief required. I strongly suggest a consultation with an attorney at the very least before you sign anything. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.