Does it effect my custody if I live with my boyfriend?

My ex-husband threatened me and my son with death and I live with my boyfriend. He petitioned for partial custody. Will it effect me in any way if I live with my boyfriend?

Asked on November 5, 2011 under Family Law, Missouri


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

It doesn't automatically or necessarily affect custody, but it could: the issue would be whether the boyfriend himself could be deemed to pose some threat to your child or an unsuitable influence (e.g. he is an alcohalic or drug user; he is a registered sex offender; he is a convicted felon; he is an undocumented alien; etc.) or if the living situation in some way poses a threat or unsuitable environment (you are living in a very dangerous area; the boyfriend has associates who are criminals; you and your boyfriends are inappropriately intimate in front of your son; etc.). So you have to look to the facts: is there anything about the boyfriend or the living situation which makes it inappropriate for you son to live there with you?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.