does FHA provide hardship exemptions

I own a duplex reside in half of it and rent out the other half. Recently, I
was forced to attend to an elderly parent requiring medical attention. Down the
road, should I be forced to relocate to be closer to my aging and dependent
parent, would I be able to rent out my share of the house though terms of FHA
require owner occupancy??? Are there any legal exemptions that would permit me,
under these circumstances, to seek an exemption?

Asked on June 18, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Massachusetts


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

No, the whole point of FHA loans is to help people buy homes for them to live in--not investment or rental properties. There is no exception to the owner occupancy requirement to care for an aging parent. If things come to that, you may need to sell the home if you have to relocate.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.