Does doing your own plumbing void any home insurance?

I have been told by several delivery people and installers that they could not reconnect anything involving plumbing (e.g. sinks, dishwashers) because only certified plumbers are allowed to do anything relating to water in AR. I have been told that doing my own plumbing would void my home insurance. What AR code are they talking about that requires this? Is this even true? Am I really not allowed to do any of my own plumbing without a license?

Asked on July 21, 2010 under Insurance Law, Arkansas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

This question is hard to determine.  An attorney in your area might not even know.  What I would suggest that you do is NOT take anyone's word for it and do a little investigating on your own.  I mights first call you state attorney general's consumer fraud division and ask them your question.  They, along with your state department of Insurance, would deal with any scams that would involve forcing a consumer to use a licensed plumber for fear of voiding their insurance.  I would also contact your state Department of Insurance. Arkansas aalso has a state licensing board for plumbers. They might be able to direct you to their legal department for information.  It seems like a very strange rule but one really never knows. Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.