Does an employer have to provide copies of timecards to former employees?

A former employee has reguested his 2 timecards because he does not feel he was

paid the correct number of overtime hours. Do I have to give them to him?

Asked on May 10, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Michigan


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

In most states, the law regarding pay records is that an employer is to provide an employee or former employee a copy of the employee’s paystubs. However, employers do not typically need to provide time sheets (or other such records) above and beyond what is on the employee’s paystub. To be certain of your rights, you can contact your state's department of labor and/or consult with a local employment law attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.