Does an employer have the right to take an overpayment out of an employees paycheck with out the employee’s consent and not have it listed on the employee’s pay stub?

My employer claims they overpaid me on several occasions, then decided that they
would take the money out of my paycheck without discussing the matter with me.
Then when receiving my pay stub, it never showed the deduction of wages, they
just took it from my regular hours and showed the difference on the stub.

Asked on November 2, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Pennsylvania


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

In PA, the reason for the overpayment matters. While typically an overpayment may not be deducted from an worker's wages without their consent, if the over payment had to do with an something authorized by and for the convenience of employees, then it would be legal. For example, contributions to and recovery of overpayments under employee welfare and pension plans subject to the Federal Welfare and Pension Plans Disclosure Act. Otherwise, deductions are not legal. That having been said, this doesn't mean that you don't owe your employer money. You may. If so, then it can sue you in small claims court or work out a repayment arrangement with you (if you refuse then you may be terminated subject to provisions in any applicable employment or union agreement).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.