Does a school district have to pay me for the hours I’ve worked even if it’s over my contracted hours?

I am a part-time parapro for a student with disabilities, my contract is for 4.5 hrs daily per the school calendar set. My student was involved in an extra curricular activity and had to stay at school and after to be part of it. this was a culinary competition This put me over my hours and I’d like to be paid for it. My district requires me to clock in and out everyday and these hours are reflected in that. I’ve asked to have my total hours worked according to the time clock and I’ve yet to have anybody send me that total. I know I’m over my contracted hours and now I feel like I’m working for free.

Asked on March 23, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

If you are (as we assume) an hourly, not salaried, employee, you must be paid for all hours worked, even if over your contracted hours. If your employer does not wish to pay you for those hours, they could refuse to let you work them (and someone else would then presumably have to assist the student). But if they let you work the additional hours and you are hourly, you must be paid. You could bring a complaint to the state department of labor if not paid for all hours worked.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.