Does a person have the right to refuse ambulance transport for alleged alcohol intoxication?

I was seen by security at a event horse playing with a friend and then falling. I was forced to sit in a corner for 20 minutes and one of the many on site EMS personnel approached me. They stated I have to come with them and I calmly refused stating I would leave the event and call for a ride back home. They then threatened me with violence stating, “you are coming with us either the easy way or the hard way buddy.” I walked to to the ambulance and sat down on the stretcher by myself. I was billed emergency transport and have so far received $2729.90 worth of bills for my short stay.

Asked on June 11, 2012 under Malpractice Law, Ohio


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You should fight these charges. You were not BAC tested and you were not escorted by police. Sounds like the EMT personnel were simply locating people to charge for services so your best bet is to contact your state's consumer protection agency and the board who handles such matters (regulates and certifies EMTs) and file a complaint there, as well.  Indicate that you were not so inebriated that you could not render your own decisions and you were not under arrest. Therefore, you refuse to pay for services you were not given and for something you were threatened with violence to do if you refused.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.