Does a part time worker have any rights under new work ownership?

I have worked for my employer part time for almost 9 years. I am a bartender.
My boss sold the bar on a Friday and passed away on Sunday, of a heart attack.
Anyhow, the new owner finally took over ownership yesterday morning. A gentleman
who works for the owner contacted me at 7pm last night to tell me that he was
making staff changes and he could no longer accomodate me. I asked if I could
work my shift tomorrow, but was denied. Less than 24 hours before my shift…so
no notice. I have been nothing but a dedicated employee and have enjoyed working
my shift as well as others. I’m pretty shocked. Is this legal what he did? Do
I have any rights as a part time worker.

Asked on May 17, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, California


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Do you have an employment contract or union agreement that prohibits your termination under the circumstances? Is your treatment due to some form of legally actionable discrimination? If not, then you were an "at will" worker which means that you could have been fired for any reason or no reason at all, with or without notice.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.