Does a landlord have the legal right to charge a 25 a day storage fee for a vehicle being left on the property after the tenant vacates the primises?

I left a vehicle on his property for 21 days, it didn’t prohibit him from showing the home. He did not inform me that their would be charges incurred. When I called to inquire about my deposit he informed me that he could not rent the house because the vehicle was there and he did not inform me that charges were incurring then. I had the car removed the very next day. I did not know about the charges until I recieved the letter in the mail notification that your full deposit will not be returned due to the conditions of car left on property for 21 days X $25 per day $525.

Asked on September 15, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Louisiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The landlord should only be able to charge a storage fee in the following circumstances:

1) If  the lease provided that there would be a storage fee for belongings or a vehicle left after the tenant moved out--if so, such a provision is enforceable; or

2) If the landlord in fact incurred an out-of-pocket charge or cost to store the vehicle--for example, he had to have to it towed and parked elsewhere (e.g. at a commercial lot), so he could access the garage/driveway/parking spot--then he may pass that charge onto the former tenant. However, if there was no actual cost to the landlord, he cannot impose a charge.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.