Does a landlord need to give written notice of a rent increase to a tenant?

I moved into a new home 45 days ago and the rent was $433 by verbal agreement. Today, the landlord came and said it was going to be raised $200 for the next month. Then her father called tonight and said it would be $750 due at the beginning of the month. Which amount am I obligated to pay and am I obligated at all without written notice? Her father is not the owner of the home and has no legal right as it is in her name only.

Asked on August 16, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Okay, if your landlord is the daughter I would speak with her only and ignore the father's call.  Now, if you area month to month tenant and have no lease then unfortuantely you have no protection against a verbal increase.  Now, if you pay your rent every 30 days then you need to be given at least 30 days notice of the increase.  So I do not believe that you have not been given the proper notice.  Now, you need to decide if you want to stay given the increase and if you do not pay the regual rent on the first of next month and give written notice at the same time (maybe a day or two before) that you are moving by the first of the following month.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.