Does a hospital have to provide a copy of Power of Attorney to siblings?

My mom is in the hospital. I called to see her results and was told that my sister has POA? I asked to see copy and they said to call my sister. Does the hospital have to show me the copy of the POA?

Asked on June 17, 2016 under Estate Planning, Delaware


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

No, the hospital does not have to show you the POA--it's not the hospital's job to interject itself into family squabbles or police the appropriatenesss or even legality of a POA; rather, if the POA seemed valid on its face, they are allowed to rely on it and do not have to show it to any family. If you do not believe or trust the POA, if you mother is mentally competent, you can't do anything about it--as a mentally competent adult, it's up to her to protect her rights and interests. If you believe that she is mentally incompetent and that your sister is not protecting her interests or is taking advantage, you could file a legal action in chancery court to try to have yourself appointed as legal guardian. Note that is a complex action, much more difficult than, say, filing a case for an unpaid bill in small claims court, and you are strongly advised to retain an attorney to help you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.