Does a corporation have to have an attorney to file a garnishment?

I am a landlord. I am also a corporation. I have a judgment on a previous renter through magistrate court. I filed a garnishment on her work. She got an attorney to file a traverse stating since I am a corporation that I cannot file the garnishment papers myself.

Asked on October 28, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Georgia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

In many states in this country a licensed attorney must represent a corporation or a limited liability company as opposed to an individual who is not a licensed attorney. This is the law in California.

If the judgment you have is in the name of the corporation and the debtor's attorney is claiming that you cannot file the garnishment papers for the corporation due to the fact that you are not a licensed attorney (which may be the case), I suggest that the corporation assign you the judgment individually by way of a written document to solve this problem.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.