Does a family member have eviction rights after a house is sold in Georgia?

I am currently living in my Grandmother’s house which was sold on the Douglas
County, GA courthouse steps on Sept. 5th after going through foreclosure. I moved
in with my Grandmother 7 years ago to take care of her but she moved to a nursing
home last October after she started needing full time care. The new owner is
saying that they can legally enter the home after 7 days but I need more time
than that to move. Do I have the same rights as her, the legal former owner of
the house, to the eviction process if it comes to that? Will the court see this
as a civil case if I refuse to leave after the 7 days is up?

Asked on September 8, 2017 under Real Estate Law, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You have no legal right to the home whatsoever: 1) you were not an owner of the house--living in a house with the owner's permission does not give you any rights to the property; and 2) even if you had been an owner, the forceclosure cut off your rights to the home--when a home is foreclosed upon, the owner(s) lose all rights to it.
The buyers can ask you to leave immediately. If you don't, they can bring a legal action (commonly called an action for "ejectment," though it may have a different name in your state) to remove you. This can be done on an expedited basis and can take only a very few weeks.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.