Can a DUI ticket in Mexico lead to a DUI conviction in the United States?

Asked on July 14, 2015 under Criminal Law, California


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

No... only Mexico can prosecute a charge out of Mexico. Only a state can prosecute a charge committed in their state.  Neither has the right to overlap into the other's jurisdiction.

However, most jurisdictions will enhance or bump up the punishments for repeat offenders.  This means that if you have already had a conviction for a DUI in Mexico, and then you pick up a new DUI charge in the states, they can increase the amount of punishment you would receive because of the prior conviction--- assuming they can prove the prior conviction.  The enhancements vary by state, but usually the first couple of DUI offenses are misdemeanors, and then convert to felonies after the commission of 2-4 offenses... depending on the state law where the last DUI occurs.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.