does a contractor legally have to provide their wholesale invoices to a customer? and does premeditated writing a check to pay for a remodel job then stopping payment on that check the next day constitute theft of services by fraud?

i have a customer that wrote me a check for a remodel job for 1800 at 5 in the
afternoon then the next morning put a stop payment on that check because i would
not give her my invoices where i bought my materials. the job was done at my
retail prices and labor not wholesale. They are the prices i charge and she is
trying to say i overcharged for hours but she is only looking at hours on site
not work done for the project at my home as well was travel time and time to get
materials which are billable hours also. now she is sueing me for the amount of
the check she stopped payment on

Asked on September 18, 2018 under Business Law, Nebraska


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

What you can do is countersue her for the money she owes you for the work you did and time spent on obtaining materials: you sue her for breach of contract, or violating the agreement (whether written or oral/unwritten) that you would do the work for pay. You can file a counterclaim in a lawsuit; contact your court's clerk's office and/or look at the court's website for information on doing this. In the lawsuit, you will have the chance to prove how you came to the number you charged; if the court agrees with it, the court can issue a judgment for the money in your favor.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.