Does a car dealer or repo man have the right to charge a high fee even though my car was never repossed?

I fell behind on my car a few times, this acknowledge, however the car has never been repossed. I thought that the repo was helping by coming to get the payment and take it to the dealer because I was unable to. Now i find out that I was charged $300 each time this was done, which was twice and I now owe $393 remainding on my car. i was never contact by the dealer that there was a balance until now and of course thru the repo man again who is now asking for $300. He has not tried to repo the car. He said that he was trying to work with me? Is this fair or legal?

Asked on August 15, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The issue that you have written about is whether under your loan and security agreement you should be held responsible for the alleged fee of the car repossession person with respect to attempts to allegedly repossess the vehicle. If you signed an agreement allowing such a fee to be assessed as to you, then you could very well be held responsible for such fees assuming such claimed work was actually incurred.

I suggest that you consult with an attorney that practices in the area of consumer law to assist you as to your question. You might consider also consulting with your community's legal aid clinic as well on your matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.