Does a business in Missouri have to accept cash?

There is not a federal law saying that
it does but a state law can require it.

Asked on June 3, 2017 under Business Law, Missouri


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Typically a private business does not have to accepty cash; as a general rule a business can make a policy to only take non-cash forms of payment. That having been said, some state have enacted laws requiring business's to accept cash. These laws were enacted on the reasoning that not all individual's have the ability to obtain credit cards and/or other alternate forms of payment. To be certain of the law in your state, you can consult directly with a local lawyer or contact your state's office of consumer protection or Attorney General's office.

SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

No, a private business does not have to accept cash (the same way they do not have to accept checks or credit cards or PayPal, etc. if they do not want). Private businesses are free to deterimine how they will accept payment--and would-be customers who do not like their policies are free to go to different businesses instead.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.