does a beneficiary of an investment account trump a will if the account was closed 6 months before the person died and the sole beneficiary in the will died before this person

i was named beneficiary on an investment account. The person who opened the
account, closed the account 4-6 months prior to their death. In the will her
brother and believe it or not her cat were to receive her estate. The brother
died before her, had no family also. Will the fact that she named me as
beneficiary of the money in the investment account and knowing that there are no
other heirs to her estate but the cat, show intent that she wanted me to have the

Asked on October 5, 2017 under Estate Planning, District of Columbia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

No, it does not show this:
1) First, only a validly signed and witnessed written will "shows" a person's intentions for their property or assets after death in a legally enforceable way. Anything that is not a will is legally irrelevant.
2) She closed the account prior to her death: therefore, if anything, she showed by her actions that you were not to receive those monies, since the thing you were a beneficiary of was eliminated.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.