Does a 14 year old have a say in where they live regardless of the parent’s wishes?

I have a friend that recently moved out of state against her wishes. She’s underage but doesn’t wish to remain with her mother who is her only living parent. She has an aunt and uncle near her original place of residence as well as a good friend with reliable parents that she would rather live with but her mother does not want her to leave. If the Aunt and Uncle consent can she move against her mother’s wishes?

Asked on March 8, 2012 under Family Law, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your friend. Your friend is still a minor and her Mother is her legal guardian. I am sure that her Mother moved for a good reason and maybe to try and better their lives.  It is always very hard to move and especially at such an age.  I am sure that she feels that she has been torn from everything she knows.  But things will get better.  If, however, her Mother is unfit to take care of her her Aunt and Uncle can make an application to the court to tke care of her.  But if not, her Mother has the final say.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.