Do you need to serve a notice in an unlawful detainer?

There is no rental agreement, and we have tried to
get him to leave before but refuses. I just wanted to
know if we should serve a notice before filing an
unlawful detainer.

Asked on November 16, 2018 under Real Estate Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you must. Someone whom you initially  allowed to enter & stay in your property may remain until given notice to leave; therefore, as a precursor to any unlawful detainer action, you must show you provided notice to the occupant that he must leave. Written notice is therefore a prequisite, since you can't prove oral (that, not "verbal," is the correct term) notice if the other side disputes it. Send him written notice sent simultaneously by: certified mail, return receipt requested; regular mail; hand delivery; and if you have his email or cell number, a PDF or photograph of the notice sent electronically to him--you want be able to prove that you sent the notice. Given him at least 30 days to vacate to be certain you've provied sufficient time, then file the action. I failure to provide and prove adequate notice will result in your case being dismissed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.