Do you have to have a subpoena to get a copy of a police report if you haven’t gone to the hearing to plead guilty or not guilty?

Asked on November 18, 2014 under Criminal Law, Missouri


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You don't need a subpoena to obtain the police report.

You can go to the police department and ask for a copy of the police report, but they might charge for it.

Another alternative is to to go to the court, and if you know the case number, ask the court clerk to let you see the file.  You can't remove the file from the court, but can ask the court clerk to photocopy the police report for you and any other documents you want copied from the file.

If you don't know the case number, look for your name under defendants in the court's computer to obtain the case number.  Then, give the case number to the court clerk and ask to see the file.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.