Do you have to follow the law from the state where the divorce took place?

My husband and his ex-wife got divorced 12 years ago. He and I moved out of state 2 years later. We got custody of the oldest 5 years ago and the second daughter last year. We are trying to have the ex help pay for college for the girls. Will we need to follow the law in the state in which the divorce occurred or in the state in which we now live? The girls will be attending colleges here.

Asked on July 23, 2012 under Family Law, Indiana


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

With respect to the marital dissolution of your husband as to his former spouse, the court order for the dissolution and any child support order is the court order of the county and state where the proceeding happened.

As such, the laws of the state where the court orders originate control over the laws of any other state concerning this twelve (12) year old dissolution.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.