Do you have to agree to a credit check when required by an auto insurer in a motorcycle theft claim?

My boyfriend’s motorcycle was stolen and he had insurance coverage on it. He has submitted a claim but the insurance agent is requesting a credit check. Is this lawful?

Asked on March 19, 2019 under Insurance Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 1 year ago | Contributor

It is lawful. Insurers may investigate claims to see if they are legitimate--for example, that someone did not sell his motorcycle under the table but then claim it stolen, or pay someone to steal it so he could make an insurance claim. Theft claims are often suspect if the vehicle is not recovered. One thing the insurers look for is evidence that the insured was in financial distress, since if he was, that increases the likelihood that the theft was not legitimate, but was a way to get insurance money.
If your boyfriend does not cooperate, the insurer likely will not pay. He could in theory then sue for "breach of contract" (an insurance policy is a contract) on the basis they are not honoring their contractual obligation; if he can prove in court they should pay, they will have to. But in the lawsuit, if they can convincince the judge that the credit report may be relevant, they'll be able to get it anyway (and/or banking information, credit card information, and other financial information); he therefore may wish to cooperate now, instead of forcing litigation and likely having to allow it anyway.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.