do we need to file anything through the court to stop a divorce

My husband filed for a divorce, I got served 2 weeks ago. Prior to that we started to reconcile and have decided not to go through with it. However here in Barrow county ga I was informed that 1 I had 30 days to respond and 2 there is a restraining order on me not to move out of the county, sell things, etc. Also that he and I are supposed to go to some parenting class. What, if anything, can we do to cancel this? We want to do it on our own instead of paying MORE money to an attorney to do it…..We are BROKE and just want to put the past behind us but this is lingering over both of us.

Asked on June 20, 2017 under Family Law, Georgia


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Your husband can file a Request for Dismissal (court form) which both he and you sign.
On the form, dismiss the entire action.  If the dismissal is with prejudice, that means the case cannot be reinstated.  If the dismissal is without prejudice, that means the case can be reinstated.
The Request for Dismissal should be filed in the same court where the original case (petition for dissolution of marriage) was filed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.