Do we need a lawyer regarding a car accident?

My husband was in an accident with an 18 wheeler 2 months ago. The next day the truck driver seemed to be fine. He didn’t go to the hospital the night of the accident and now all of a sudden my husband is being charged with personal injury also. My husband is a very honest man and he said he had worked all day and then went to a friends wake that night. He fell asleep at the wheel on the way home. Now we have people telling us never to admit that it was your fault. He has to go to court tomorrow.

Asked on October 18, 2017 under Accident Law, Iowa


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

It is not uncommon for auto accident injuries to manifest themselves sometime after the accident instead of immediately at the scene.
Since your husband was at fault in the accident, his auto insurance company should provide him with an attorney at no cost to him.  Your husband should be represented by an attorney in this matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.