Do we have to probate a will for my husband’s mother who has been deceased for 20 years?

The house we live in is still in my
deceased parents in laws. We would like
to sell the house but have to change the

Asked on July 20, 2017 under Estate Planning, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

The statute of limitations has actually run to perfect a probate.  However, if there are issues regarding ownership and having the legal right to sell a piece of property, then you can file a suit to "clear title" which will have a court officially declare you the owner with the right to sell the property.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.