What constititues a case of abandonment?

This was my child’s 1 year check-up. We were in the room and the nurse weighed and measured my child and asked what vaccines we were getting that day. I told the nurse I wanted to wait a while for this round. The nurse went to tell the doctor we were ready and no shots today. The doctor had a nurse come back and tell me that she would not see my child unless I gave him at least 1 shot and by not giving him vaccines that day that it could be seen as child neglect and abuse. Needless to say my child did not get his 1 year check-up and we were sent on our way. Also, my child is vaccinated.

Asked on July 28, 2012 under Malpractice Law, Nevada


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Under the legal sense of the word, "abandonment" occurs when a person disclaims any ownership interest in an item that is not a person. "Abandonment" with respect to a minor child by  aparent of a person in charge of the minor happens when there is no adult supervision of the child for a prolonged period of time.

I see no "abandonment" issues based upon what you have written. I see issues with your child's pediatrician where you might be better off seeking another doctor for your child.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.